The abundance mindset is the key to making a lot of money, according to noted Personal Development for Smart People blogger, author and speaker Steve Pavlina, as well as I Will Teach You To be Rich blogger and entrepreneur Ramit Sethi. Other personal development experts, such as Stephen Covey and Paul Piotrowski, also claim that financial, career and sometimes even life success is found in shifting from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset.
Unfortunately, I haven’t found a good, practical guide shifting to an “abundance” mindset, only indicators or markers of where it is. I have spent the past year or so creating my own understanding of the abundance mindset that brings together my knowledge of personal development, the way the world works, psychology, philosophy and economics. I want to share this understanding and my process for achieving it here.
What makes this guide special? My goal is to help you shift your mindset to an abundance mindset by delivering clear reasoning (instead of assertions) behind each of the pillars of the abundance mindset and contrasting it with the common mindset. You can then test out your results with the abundance mindset versus your previous mindset and decide which works better for you. The other guides I have seen have done some things I will avoid:
- included assertions rather than arguments
- have only described the final mindset without contrasting it with the “common” one
- have only talked about the “symptoms” of the abundance mindset (such as finding a ten thousand dollar a night for a hotel room acceptable) rather than why that is so
- made metaphysical assumptions about the nature of the universe such as for the law of attraction. There may be value there, but I will stick to a naturalistic understanding of the world whenever possible.
The criteria that define the abundance mindset are:
- it has to be ethical.
- it has to model the world as it is by explaining how people make money right now and accounting for why people don’t.
- empower us to make more money easier, better or faster, and deliver all sorts of results easier.
How this guide works This guide is written so that the next page will contain almost all you need to know about this mindset. It will be a sort of overview of the whole guide. The pages after that will contain greater detail, illustrations and depth about each part as well as my personal history with each idea. This is a work-in-progress. If some part of this guide could be improved or if you feel that some parts are lacking, please contact me and let me know so you can help create greater value for the other readers of this guide.
Table of Contents:
Part 1 – Introduction
Part 2 – What is Value?
Part 3 – Practically Creating and Delivering Value
Part 4 – What is your Current Mindset?
Part 5 – Value & Self-Esteem
Part 6 – Value & Service
Part 7 – Value & Marketing