Cal Newport over at Study Hacks posted The Most Important Piece of Career Advice You Probably Never Heard, and I agree. The big question to ask yourself:
Fix the lifestyle you want. Then work backwards from there.
What do I mean by lifestyle? Roughly speaking: a detailed feel for what your day to day existence would be like. Some questions to consider when imagining an ideal lifestyle:
- How much control do I have over my schedule?
- Whatâ€™s the intensity level of my job?
- Whatâ€™s the importance of what I do?
- Whatâ€™s the prestige level?
- What type of work?
- Where do I live?
- Whatâ€™s my social life like?
- Whatâ€™s my work life balance?
- Whatâ€™s my family like?
- How do other people think of me?
- What am I known for?